Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Do You Have a Sister?



If you do, then you'll understand.  If you don't, I feel so sorry for you.  I may or may not have sobbed my eyes out at the last scene of the movie Warrior with Tom Hardy.  And it is approximately the fifteenth time I've watched it.  There is a moment in that movie, a significant, and important moment, when a man holds onto his brother, in a choke-hold, and tells him that he loves him, that it is ok, that he can let go.  And his brother, Tommy, taps out, gives in, and accepts the love and peace offered from his brother.  I don't care that I'm spoiling the movie for those of you that haven't seen it.  The message offered strikes so close to home that I wonder if it was written just for me, just for me and my sister, just for me, my sister, and my brother.

The love and understanding that I have for my sister is epic, it is historic, it is something that will never be diminished - only strengthened.

She knows what has happened.  She held my hand through the darkest of hours.  She knows all of my secrets, my confessions, my joys and my plummets into hell.  She has been there for me. She has held me fast.

She had never judged, she has never faltered.  She is always there with wisdom, she is always there with a sound mind, a sober countenance, a reasonable solution to any problem that I may ever encounter.  She is younger, but she is wiser.  She had done more, experienced more, said and done and felt and seen more.  She is my sister.  She is my best friend.  She is my conscience and my better judgement.  She is what no one will ever understand.  She infuriates me.  But she inspires me too.

She will always be there.  She will always have my back.  She will continue to be in my corner and get what no one else can.


No comments:

Post a Comment